Thursday, May 1, 2008

My Educational Philosophy in a Nutshell

Education, in a wider perspective, is not merely the accumulation of knowledge and information in various academic disciplines, which is nevertheless essential in order to earn one’s living and survive in an increasingly competitive world. In its holistic sense, education is a means of total development of a pupil—physical, intellectual and emotional/spiritual development. True education must lead one from knowledge to wisdom, and ultimately to a profound sense of intelligence and enlightenment. Such an educated person has a great insight not only into the way human mind works but also into the ways of the world, and therefore is capable of living sanely in this seemingly insane world.

Taking a more pragmatic view, it is the function or role of education to keep society supplied with various kinds of skilled professionals needed for the smooth functioning of a nation. In the contemporary educational landscape, as a pupil graduates from the elementary level of schooling to the higher level of learning, the definition or scope of education increasingly narrows down to what could best be described as training rather than education. I never lose sight of what Mark Twain once said, "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." As an educator, I try to strike a balance between teaching with a holistic and inter-disciplinary approach and teaching that is focused on specialized knowledge and skills relevant to the topic in hand--all in a proactive way. I strongly believe that a teacher worth his/her salt is first of all a good learner. While teaching my subject I try not only to impart the knowledge of that subject to my students but also to transmit to them a sense of perspective, which in turn broadens their horizons. I try to impress upon my students that instead of feeling proud of their country and community they should do their country and community proud by their noble deeds and accomplishments.

I try my best to keep my students in a good humour while facilitating learning in an animated environment in class. No matter what teaching method or technique I am following at a given moment, I help my students to have an intense abiding urge to learn more and aspire for perfection without ever slipping into a state of complacency. While equipping my students with valuable skills to enable them to earn their living one day, I try to ensure that they learn the art of living at the same time.
Hareshwar Prasad Singh
Pune

No comments:

About Me

My photo
A consistent learner keen on sharing his learning with fellow humans.